At First Federal Credit Union, we believe the confidentiality and protection of member information is one of our fundamental responsibilities. And while information is critical to providing quality service, we recognize that one of our most important assets is our member’s trust. Thus, safekeeping of member information is critical.
It is the intent of the Credit Union to comply with all applicable laws and regulations governing the privacy of nonpublic personal information including the CFPB’s Regulation P (12 CFR 1016)
To ensure that members can rely on the quality of products and services we make available, our Credit Union stands behind the following privacy guidelines:
- The Credit Union will only collect personal information necessary to conduct our business. That means only what is necessary to provide competitive financial products and services and no more. We collect this information about members from applications and other forms, information about member transactions with us, our affiliates or others, and information we receive from consumer reporting agencies.
- The Credit Union discloses nonpublic personal information about its members and former members to companies that offer financial products and services, including insurance products and securities brokerage companies. The Credit Union also discloses nonpublic information to other nonaffiliated third parties as permitted by law.
- The Credit Union will partner only with businesses that follow strict confidentiality requirements. The businesses we select will offer products designed to enhance our members’ economic well-being. Under no circumstances will we authorize those firms to charge a member’s account without receiving their express consent, and we will not sell member information to telemarketing firms.
- Members that prefer that we not disclose nonpublic personal information about them to nonaffiliated third parties may opt out of these disclosures, and direct us not to make those disclosures to nonaffiliated third parties. To opt out, members may call us at 319.362.3171. Members may also notify us in writing by mailing a request to 425 First Ave SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52405.
- The right to opt out does not apply if the Credit Union’s disclosure of nonpublic personal information is necessary to effect, administer or endorse a transaction that a consumer requests or authorizes.
The Credit Union will protect the personal information of its members. This Credit Union will maintain strong security controls to ensure that member information in our files and computers is protected. We limit employee access to confidential member financial information to those employees with a business reason for knowing such information. Additionally, we maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations.
All members will receive our privacy disclosure entitled “Your Right To Privacy” and “Important Information To Know”. All new account members will receive this disclosure at account opening, and there will be an annual re-disclosure as required by regulation.
The Dodd Frank Act transferred NCUA’s rulemaking authority under the Gramm Leach Bliley Act to the CFPB. NCUA’s Technical Amendments final rule, effective May 31, 2013 rescinded Part 716.
The CFPB’s Privacy rules now apply to all federally insured credit unions. If you are a privately insured state chartered credit union then you will continue to follow the FTC’s privacy rules.